Have you ever walked into a store with dirty counters, offset colors, no cohesive decorations (unless we are dealing with a hippie store), there is a horrible smell and everyone is wearing torn clothes? The owner puts out his right hand towards your for a handshake and you can’t help but notice dirty fingernails and sweat. What is your first reaction? I know mine: walk out and never to return. But wait, the word on the street is that they have an amazing product. It matters not, if we fail to make a good first impression.
If you are running your business online, or both, it is imperative that when potential clients hit enter after typing y o u r b u s i n e s s.c o m, a wow factor occurs, or at least a sense that they are dealing with a real and serious business. I often see companies that have a great product, but their websites fail to live up to what they are offering. Some, the equivalent of those dirty fingernails.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION
How do you feel when you first walk into a Starbucks? Exactly! No words were needed.
- DESING AND STRUCTURE – I am firm believer of less is more. Let your content and product be the stars. No need to have an abundance of colors or “decorations” to get the attention of your clients.
- PROFESSIONAL IMAGES -As a photographer that has to be one of my biggest pet peeves and one of the biggest downfall for many companies. Invest in good stock photos or hire a professional photographer to take more personalized images of your products.
- RESPONSIVE SITE – I don’t know how many times a day I am on my computer for pleasure, oh yes, zero times! A great percentage of us access sites, email, etc, through our smart phones. At this point in the game, we should not be using our fingers to zoom in your content.
- SIMPLE NAVIGATION – If I can’t find it easily, I am leaving. Make sure your navigation is simple and easy to understand. I know some of us get creative with titles, and that’s ok, as long as your audience understands that “Let’s do it” means contact me. 🙂
- SPEED – If you are still using a flash site, shame on you! Not only does it not work on some smart phones, but they take forever to load.
- GOOD CONTENT – Are you writing relative and useful information? One way to keep your clients coming back is to have good and up to date content.
- DIRECTIONS – What do you want your clients to do? Have that front and center!
Is your site out of date, needs improvement or a perhaps a brand new start? Let’s talk! Click here for more information.